As the Slush event kicked off today in Finland, all eyes were stuck on the main stage for the Jolla event to take place and looking at the overwhelming response they’ve got from the crowd, the high anticipations have finally been matched with an innovative and fast UI for the Sailfish OS. Further, they released the Sailfish Software Development Kit (SDK) for the developers’ community which is available here www.sailfishos.org. They also demonstrated their Sailfish OS UI in the event and their demo video is available on the homepage of their website, http://jolla.com/. In the press release, some of the highlighted features of their OS and UI were:
- High adaptability and support for Smartphones, tablets, smart TVs, automotive and other device classes.
- The Sailfish SDK consists of Mer Core’s tools, Qt Creator, Jolla UI components, Sailfish UI framework and
- Sailfish handset application interfaces.
- The OS consists of open source projects such as Qt, Mer Core, and the Linux kernel which can be readily developed by third party developers.
- The Sailfish alliance is aimed at OEM and ODM manufacturers, chipset providers, operators, application developers and retailers.
- It promotes community development where all can participate and contribute and result in an innovative and better solution.
- Effortless multitasking like interaction with running apps directly from the home screen.
- Pulley Menu with personalization features to suit the user’s style and mood.
Collaboration announced with ST-Ericsson:
Jolla already has some big deals in its bag like the one worth 200Million Euros with the alliance based in Hong Kong, China. But with the launch of their Sailfish OS, there were expectations of some new collaborations and the same has finally evolved to be true. This time, its ST-Ericsson which has collaborated with Jolla to add Sailfish OS to the mobile operating systems supported on our NovaThor ModAp platforms. The mobile devices running the Sailfish OS are expected to be launched next year.
Jolla is riding on a high wave at the time and surprising the world with new and innovative features revolutionizing the market. They promised to bring something new and that’s what we have seen so far. But a lot more is expected in the near future, especially next month when Jolla will be launching their first Smartphone device.
What’s your next take on the possible collaborations in the future?