From a while we have been hearing the news from Jolla getting new sponsorships for their awesome work. Who would have expected that Jolla will become so big that they will invited for sponsorship to offer for other organizations! The news has just surfaced that an organization, Hildon Foundation is seeking support from Jolla to support funding for their MeeGo mission.
The foundation has recently sent an open letter to Jolla regarding their objectives. The foundation was actually sponsored by Nokia till now but after the departure of Nokia, they have been left homeless. The foundation is actually looking after N900 users since device was released and N9/950 users who need a new space for community and support. They have managed to raise a fund of $2,000 via donation but that’s obviously not enough.
In the open letter, they also gave a brief description of what they have done till now in this field. Some of their works include:
- Very intensive Google Summer of Code application development
- Three successful Coding Competitions
- Extensive progress in CSSU development
- Over 100 million software downloads
- Unified development efforts for much open source software (Linux, Mozilla, Debian, etc.)
- An Extras repository full of QA tested community applications
- Crowd-sourced brainstorming of all types
- Major global conferences (under Nokia’s sponsorship)
- Developer Device programs
- Local meetups and hackfests
- General community evangelism
The foundation is expected to help Jolla as well as they are both working under the same project in different departments. They will also be broadening up the ecosystem for Jolla. So, we guess that Jolla might not consider this a bad deal. But it finally comes to total revenue spent on this project and the worth of it. We will be looking forward to the response of Jolla. So, stay tuned for more. And do tell us is it wise enough to sponsor Hildon Foundation or should Jolla continue on its own.
EDIT: Jolla did respond.