So our friends at Jolla Tides have recently paid more attention to the possibilities of “The Other Half” and have literally gone for it this time since I remember last time it was just a simple poll plus collecting ideas in the comment section of the blog.
As you might remember on Jolla Love Day, Marc Dillon said: ” The limit for The Other Half is your imagination.” And with that said plus the details that have been confirmed lately [ The I2C and NFC connectivity which brings us Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity along as well ] we know that he really meant it and the only thing which is yet to be announced about Other Half is “Will Jolla make their own branded Other Halves or it’s just relied on third parties?”
With that in mind, the ideas gathered through and we now have a vast list of 48 different halves (With some mutual facilities mounted) which in my mind are brilliant except for the Water Proof Other Half which I’m personally unable to understand it because even if the second half is water proof, what will happen to the first half? 😀 It’s a personal opinion and it’s beyond my imagination!
Jolla Tides is planning to get the most out of this and make a poll for the next week or two so they can narrow the numbers down and make them something like Top 10 although I think more than 10 of them are good to be in my future collection 😛 But perhaps that’s the best way to do it 😉
So may I kindly request you guys to have a look at this list and vote your personal best(s) in the comment section? (Preferably here on the original post from Jolla Tides)
Quoted directly from Jollatides.com :
- Camera: (Must be much better than stock camera, With Xenon flash, SD card support, HDMI out)
- Windscreen mount: (with inbuilt wireless charger and fm transmitter)
- Extra storage/battery/connections: (eg. 200GB flash; 3000mah; HDMI, USB OTG)
- Slider keyboard: (With HDMI, USB OTG) Suitable for one handed use.
- Slider gamepad: (With HDMI, USB OTG)
- Wireless charger: (just simple normal sized back plate with wireless charging inbuilt)
- Presentation: (HDMI, laser pointer, IR, Full SD, USB OTG, Extra battery)
- Multimedia: (HDMI, TV Out, Full SD, Better Speakers, IR, FM TX, Battery)
- 7″ Tablet Dock: (7″ tablet half with place to connect handset on rear to transform phone into tablet)
- 10″ Tablet Dock: (10″ tablet half with place to connect handset on rear to transform phone into tablet)
- PC Dock: (With all connections needed to connect monitor/mouse/keyboard eg. 3 x USB, 1 x HDMI, SD Card Slot)
- E-ink display
- LCD fold out display: (doubles as screen protector when closed like clam shell)
- Solar charger: trickle solar charger on rear
- Medic Half: (ECG, blood pressure, pulse and other vitals you can think of.)
- Waterproof half: (two parts make the phone water resistant (IP-7/8) but still make the phone work a 100%)
- Scanner half: Scan documents on the go (nicer then a pic in some cases.)
- Security half: Fingerprint scanner/ drawpad for signing stuff.
- Second Sim Half: where you can integrate second GSM radio and use it to make calls and send messages and cellular data. With extra battery.
- Rugged Outdoor half: with rangefinder, thermometer, altitude meter and barometer. (Maybe even communication radio)
- Magnet half – for quick and convenient holding in for example the car
- Stand cover – for watching movies etc and not having to hold the phone
- Flip up screen cover – like an extra “door” that protects the screen when not in use, like a book. But transparent so you can still view screen.
- Micro projector half: to project photos, videos, documents, presentations anywhere.
- Bicycle handlebar mount: with wireless charging capability via pedal power or electric bike battery. Charging via an external battery or dynohub & something like B&M’s USBWerk. A waterproof top cover would also be handy.
- Recording studio: Phantom powered analog XLR-i/o with 24bit/96khz quality, ADAT-i/o, 2 x MIDI I/O.
- Expansion-half: PCMCIA and express-card slot with extra battery
- Audiophile half – transform your phone into the best sounding portable audio device. The other half includes a dedicated DAC and Amp combo, capable of outputting the most pristine sound, and also capable of driving full sized cans, to super sensitive IEMs. Of course, it also includes extra battery for those long listening sessions.
- Alcohol-tester half: Inbuilt breathalyser. Calls for a taxi automatically to your GPS location when you are too drunk to drive a car yourself.
- Pirate-half : 1Tb USB drive, readable by the OS.
- Home integration half – home entertainment, environment/thermostat(Nest), home security.
- Marine half: with compass, echo sounding input, radar input, barometer, high sensitive GPS and detailed chart.
- Military half: with night vision cam, rangefinder, ballistic calculator (I would say that this half is not useable in the army at all, but pretty cool stuff..)
- “Ambience”: white translucent “other half” with led to display the screen ” Ambience” and notifications by flashing.
- “Fashion”: costumization for persons, artists and companies (name, logo, colours, design) and/or access to specific features or online services (payments, bank, music, games, movies, news, guidance, encryption, files, storage…) ;
- Camping Half = large battery + solar panel + 2x full size USB sockets to charge other (small) devices with such as a GARMIN
- Night Out Half = slots for credit card + door key + paper currency
- Sport Half = Big Battery + GPS chipset & ANT+ chipset to pair with a heart rate chest straps
- Diabetic Half = blood sugar tester + contacts to touch to measure your heart rate and blood pressure
- Extra directional antenna: in the another half for rural area users and those who travel a lot. I find it very annoying when my N900 just suddenly drops 2G/3G connection when using wifi-hotspot in our summer cottage if the field strength below certain level.
- Privacy half – Prevents any app to send any information before user confirmation
- Makeup half – Outside: plain mirror, inside: magnifying mirror with led-lights on sides
- Infrared controller: so you could just slip the cover on, select your primary tv, video etc. brand(s) and model(s) and use your mobile as an remote controller. For tv there should be possibility to choose which online source to use as tv guide. In Finland iltapulu.fi is great.
- Polaroid-half. it will be cool to print out your photos immediately. actually you can sell some films by this half because it is hard to find films for polaroid cameras
- Arduino half: An Arduino communicates to the Jolla via SPI and the back of the half is a breadboard with Arduino pins (ans SPI) broken out to easily connect any kind of hardware to the phone.
A great hobby electronics half. If the Arduino IDE can run on the Jolla you have a full electronics development platform in your pocket!
- Battery half: Simple battery half with many colour options.
- DTV/DAB Receiver: Antenna connector for Digital TV and DAB radio receiver inbuilt. Could also have HDMI out for playing to screen.
- Satellite Phone: Satellite phone half for eg. emergency calls where there is no network coverage (would be very costly though)
I have some interesting photos (Edited via Photoshop) from Twitter for you guys to enjoy as well. The ideas are just coming through and my favorite is still the QWERTY keyboard. A must have other half, eh?
So here is a solar panel idea which as confirmed by Jolla it should technically be possible to make.
— YP (@YvesPE) September 26, 2013
Here is an idea for home automation like opening/closing gates.
— YP (@YvesPE) September 29, 2013
This one for IR Remote (Used on TV/Sat/Various Players)
— YP (@YvesPE) September 27, 2013
This one is one of my favorites, It’s a loud speaker which is literally loud 😉
— YP (@YvesPE) September 30, 2013
This is a rather beautiful one! Although you might not wanna use it every day (Or would you?) but it’s nice.
— YP (@YvesPE) October 1, 2013
The pop-up screen which is on the list as well!
— YP (@YvesPE) October 2, 2013
And the latest picture from this rather creative guy is an inspiration from apple, not my personal favorite since I have always had mental problems with fingerprint sensors 😀 But it’s worth having a look
— YP (@YvesPE) October 3, 2013
There are some new ideas added to JollaTides webpage which I’m honored to share with our readers as well:
- Fingerprint scanner: Add an extra layer of security only unlockable with a pre-determined fingerprint (or nipple!)
- Car diagnostic half: To link up to car/van/truck and communicate with onboard computer.
- LED/laser light show half: LED’s pulsate and also could project laser light show to the beat of music/video or other sounds. Added bonus – extra speakers.
- Racecar/F1 half: Control 2 engines via i2c, headlight LEDs, engine sounds, EPIC. Maybe even use the camera with some software to track a line!
- SD card reader/writer half (Photophile half): Insert SD card from eg. DSLR to share via bluetooth with friends/family/work etc. With USB OTG for cross sharing photos/video, HDMI out for presentation and extra battery.
- DSLR/SLR lens attachment + APS-C mirrorless sensor half: Attach common lens systems from Nikon; Canon; Pentax etc to work with inbuilt camera and give your handset the option to handle the big lenses like a pro with an enlarged APS-C mirrorless sensor! http://imgur.com/XQcgZJ0 http://imgur.com/N83V7mm
- Lens Cover Half: Slide lens cover open to activate camera, protects camera lens when closed. Lens slider could be programmed (like in N900) to eg. turn flashlight (LED) on or start other programmable functions.
- Secure encryption half: A hardware assisted encryption ASIC to provided end to end secure encryption to keep governments and criminals out of your private business.
- Retro Rotary Dial half: Because “Dialling” by selecting names from a phone book is soooo 2012!
- Robot other half: A tiny robotic other half? Something a bit like romotive’s Romo would be nice. http://romotive.com/
- GKOS keyboard: GKOS input “keyboard”
Hope you enjoyed the post, don’t forget to vote for your Other Half on Jolla Tides You can also follow them on Twitter @JollaTides .
Credits for the featured image goes to Caprico.
Sepehr Noori (James)