are we finally out of beta release?
- We have received the very exciting email from Jolla Press news which contained a LOT of interesting stuff.
1. Jolla, the Finnish smartphone and Sailfish OS developer, today announced that Jolla’s mobile operating system Sailfish OS has reached release 1.0 and is now ready for global distribution. Jolla is also introducing availability of the Sailfish OS experience as downloadable software to devices running Android OS.
- What would the 1.0 mean? I say we are going to be out of beta, and Jolla will finally reach outside Europe! Plus, the ability to get officially ported to Android devices!
2. “Customers are now able to install their preferred Android app store, and choose from hundreds of thousands of available Android applications. In addition, the active and passionate Sailfish OS community has already developed major social media applications, such as Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp, and Foursquare, natively to the Sailfish OS,” Marc Dillon says.
- So are we going to see Play Store as our “Preferred” Android app store?
3. Jolla is now rapidly entering into new markets, and is negotiating with partners in several countries, including Russia, India and Hong Kong where Jolla will open online sales in the near future. Negotiations in several European countries are well on the way for Jolla to soon open new channels in main European markets.
- We don’t know when, but we know for sure that it’s going to be really fast until Jolla expands in the whole world! Success!!
4. The fourth software update released in the beginning of March, raising the software to commercial readiness, will again include many important improvements and new features. These will include further improved performance, extended landscape support, lots of visual improvements, lots of new camera functionalities, enhancements to the Jolla store, new general settings, and many more.
- Will the 4th software update be the real get-out-of-beta release?
- Will the extended landscape support mean the actual arrival of QWERTY keyboard for allowing easier experience?
- Camera functions! We needed a lot of it, and now it’s going to happen! (Exciting indeed, they are fast!)
5. Sailfish OS has been developed to be compatible with commonly available Android hardware platforms. Due to this advanced technology, Jolla is introducing the Sailfish OS experience as downloadable software to devices running Android OS. Users can soon start to enjoy the modern, gesture based Sailfish OS in selected Android devices and also renew the lifecycle of their existing older Android devices.
The Sailfish community has already ported Sailfish OS into several devices including major versions of popular Samsung Galaxy, Google Nexus, and Sony Xperia. Also, porting for highly popular Chinese Xiaomi products is under work in community projects.
In addition, Jolla is releasing its own Sailfish user interface launcher as an Android application, which can be used to simulate the Sailfish OS experience on Android devices. The app will be available for download in the near future from Jolla.com and from common Android market places.
- Once again, it’s coming for Android devices, and once again, the community made it earlier (with bugs obviously)
- Downloadable Android Launcher is also coming to Play Store apparently, and it will allow the Android users to test out how Sailfish looks like and feels like before flashing their devices into it! Boy this is fantastic! I love their strategy
6. Jolla has formed new key partnerships in order to scale up its device business and Sailfish OS availability:
With Rovio Ltd., Jolla launches a special The Other Half Angry Birds smart cover providing exclusive Angry Birds user experience
- Finns supporting and backing each other to the max! What would Angry Birds OtherHalf contain for us? A specially Sailfish oriented game version? Let’s see
7. With F-Secure Corp., Jolla co-operates in mobile security and establishes trusted cloud services to its customers. All Jolla customers will enjoy gigabytes of free secure cloud storage integrated with their Jolla device experience
- Finally an official cloud storage function with full security and support! No wonder Sailbox was not developed any further
8. Jolla is demonstrating the Jolla smartphone with Sailfish OS 1.0, Sailfish OS for devices running Android, and The Other Half partnerships at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona on February 24-27, 2014. Jolla can be found in Hall 1, booth 1B25.
- Once again folks, see you there! We will be live blogging everything that’s happening at Jolla Booth!
Source: Jolla Press Release
We’ve seen your tweets and read your comments, Jolla owners.Well, today your wishes are coming true! – Says YouNited
Younited Press Release:
We’re proud to announce that Jolla, the visionary Finnish phonemaker and Sailfish OS developer, and F-Secure are announcing a cooperation that is truly younited.
So what’s the deal? Jolla will soon be offering its smartphone users 5 GB of free, secure younited cloud storage. Right now, we’re working things out with Jolla to make sure younited perfectly fits the needs of Jolla users. Jolla users will get all the perks of younited, like sharing, automatic sync, and integration with the content from their other devices as well as from their Dropbox, Facebook, and Picasa accounts. They’ll have a straightforward signup to younited as part of the phone setup.
We’re extremely excited to bring younited to Jolla and we warmly welcome all new Jolla youniters! Big thanks to the Jolla community and all the youniters for their feedback.
Younited we’ll stand.