Today is the day. Jolla launcher has released to Alpha testers. Not all of them though. See this.
JollaUsers and JollaSuomi will record a special video about the release by tomorrow so stay tuned! But for now, how about some release notes?
Experience Jolla User interface on your Android phone:
- Open phone via Jolla lock screen
- observe time and other indicators
- use pulley menu to quickly mute the device or open phone/settings /camera application
- Start Android applications from Jolla application grid
- Swipe back to home from any application
- See Running applications in application covers
- application cover shows partly screen capture of Android application
- Go back to application by pressing it’s cover
- Select Ambience from Ambience menu
- some preselected Ambiences are provided
- With top swipe you can get access to Android events view
- Android status bar is normally hidden on the launcher
- Jolla Launcher UI tutorial
- First time when started, there is a tutorial to learn the basics of Jolla Launcher UI
Jolla Launcher is based on Sailfish OS Update 7 level code & functionality.
This release is targeted for Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 devices running Android 4.3 or later. Release can be installed in many other devices as well, which run Android 4.3 or later but there might be severe issues in those devices.
This release of Jolla Launcher includes the Home screen and lock screen from Sailfish OS, without the Events view. Events and notification “hints” are shown on Jolla Launcher lock screen, and events can be accessed via regular Android notification bar accessible via swiping from top of screen.
- SIM PIN query dialog/window may be hidden during device startup, but it should appear at some point
- Sometimes only way to go back to call UI during active call is via Android events view (swiping from top of the screen and pressing active call event)
- No Android application uninstallation from Jolla home
- Applications can be removed from Jolla application grid, but they are not uninstalled from the Android system
- Random freezes and crashes can occur from time to time
- Screen capture on covers is updated after swiping second time to home from application
- Sometimes /in some devices screen captures don’t work reliably
If you want to report bugs, please do as instructed:
How to report bugs
Please report issues via together.jolla.com
jolla-launchertag to your report.
Please also use other descriptive tags, like
4.4.2and so on.
Please check what are the existing tags that people have already used in order to reduce our filtering work.
If such crash happens in Jolla Launcher that Google crash report function is started, please allow it to send crash report to us via Google Play. Also, please write your email & some description to user data field in order to help us to hunt down the root cause.
Our main target at first is to get Jolla Launcher stable on known reference device (Nexus 4/5). Bugs for other devices will be taken account when time & resources allow us. We have already discovered many device / brand specific Android launcher implementations, that can cause some issues for Jolla Launcher.
Stay tuned for exclusive videos and reviews from us!