We all knew that the Jolla Tablet will include Sailfish OS 2.0 with all its glory!
Jolla however, has decided to make it official for MWC 2015 and displays the tablet with a pre-version of the next Sailfish-OS milestone.
Last year at MWC 2014 Jolla has announced and showed off Sailfish OS 1.0. After a year, the hard working sailors are ready to announce their next big change on their software, Sailfish OS 2.0, aside from their new hardware form factor which is the tablet.
According to Jolla’s press release, the new Sailfish OS will include new design features, security features and more:
Even stronger technical OS core and improved Android application compatibility
– Support for Intel architecture, including the Intel Atom x3 processor
– Best multitasking on the market for both smartphones and tablets
– Improved user experience with an enhanced, even richer user interface
– Strong privacy and personalization features
– Many new UI/UX features, like enhanced notifications and events views, and even simpler
swipe access to main functions
– ‘Sailfish 2.0’ is designed to provide premium visibility in the UI for leading digital content
providers and to enable OS level integration for mobile commerce
Intel is excited to work with Jolla:
Intel Atom x3 processor is Intel’s first integrated communications platform for tablets,
phablets and smartphones, combining 64-bit multi-core Intel Atom application processors together
with 3G or 4G LTE connectivity. We are excited to work with Jolla to bring their next Sailfish OS
to Intel’s new integrated platform.
– Aicha Evans, vice president and general manager of Intel’s Communication and Devices Group
Sailfish OS is now ready for licensing to OEMs and other partners:
The roadmap of
Sailfish OS already from the beginning in 2012 has led the way to this point: Sailfish OS is now
ready for licensing to OEMs and other partners. It is scaling from smartphones to tablets, working
on different chipsets and technical platforms, and the next generation user experience is simply
hard to beat. Adding the unique software integration capabilities for partners, we feel that Sailfish
OS is the perfect platform for OEMs, content owners, m-commerce companies, and others to build
differentiated mobile products. We are also very happy to work with Intel in planning for the Intel
Atom x3 processor support for Sailfish OS.
– Antti Saarnio, Co-founder and Chairman of the Board of Jolla
This for sure is exciting. Year after year Jolla gets stronger and stronger and bashes through the mobile industry with their little boat of people. A lot has been done to analyse and implement suggestions of the community and make Sailfish OS easier to use. We also can’t wait to see OEMs license Sailfish OS and make (hopefully) millions of smartphones off it. More pictures, videos and descriptions about version 2.0 will follow.
Source: Jolla press release